This Sunday, December 4 marks week two of Advent Season. The theme for this week is Peace.
The story of Christmas is about Jesus’ birth. Yet it is his radical role in early human history that makes his life and work so significant. While born into a world fraught with conflict, Jesus chose a different path by guiding his disciples and others toward peace. This path is not necessarily what his disciples would have chosen for him.
- Some disciples wanted Jesus to be a warrior to overthrow the Romans.
- Some wanted him to be a king, leading the state of Israel to return to its status as its own nation.
- Still others wanted Jesus to be a super priest ruling the Temple and the Tabernacle, writing for the world.
But instead, Jesus served as an ambassador of Peace; a role model and teacher who demonstrated an inner state of calm regardless of the circumstances. For example:
- He was born in humble surroundings; a stable built for animals. Yet it didn’t faze him.
- The Jewish Pharisees and Sadducees hated him and wished to kill him. Yet it didn’t faze him.
- And finally, he was crucified. Yet he forgave his oppressors; “Forgive them, Father, for they know not what they do,” Luke 23:34.
Join Reverend Dennis this Sunday for a lesson about the role of Peace in the life of Jesus, and how it affects you today.
You can join us in person or watch the service on our live stream feed.
Our featured ensemble is S.O.U.L. They are Gwen Gathercoal, Paul Gathercoal, Gary Buettner, Dagan Williamson, Patty Ashley, and Laura Wineteer.